“The human brain has 100 billion neurons, each neuron connected to 10 thousand other neurons. Sitting on your shoulders is the most complicated object in the known universe.” – Michio Kaku
1. Water: Your brain is about 80% water and uses 20% of all available oxygen to function! Water is essential for delivering nutrients to the brain. Dehydration (lack of water) can cause brain fog, fatigue, and slower reaction and thinking speed.
2. Avocados: They provide monounsaturated fat, which helps to maintain healthy blood flow and aides in the regulation of mood and emotion.
3. Dark Chocolate: This helps your focus and your concentration and stimulates endorphins. Chocolate also has flavonoids which have been shown to improve cognitive function. The darker the better, as the darkest chocolate has the least sugar, and sugar is something to eat sparingly.
4. Blueberries: They protect your brain from oxidative stress and reduce the effects of brain aging. There have also been studies that show they can help with memory.
5. Broccoli: A great source of vitamin K, which is known to improve cognitive function and memory.
6. Eggs: I eat 2 almost every morning! They provide memory-improving and mood-boosting choline.
7. Green Leafy Vegetables (kale, spinach, collards): These are good sources of vitamin E, which reduces the effects of brain aging, and folate, which has been shown to improve memory. Research suggests that plant-based foods help to slow cognitive decay.
8. Salmon, sardines, caviar: These are rich in omega-3 essential fatty acids, which helps us retain new information while reducing the effects of brain aging.
9. Turmeric: It helps reduce inflammation and boost antioxidant levels while also improving your brain’s oxygen intake. There’s also some indication that turmeric helps reduce cognitive decay.
10. Walnuts: Some researchers call this the top nut for brain health. The walnut provides high levels of antioxidants and vitamin E that protect against brain aging. They also contain high levels of zinc and magnesium, which are really good for your mood.
I encourage you to add a few of these intelligence-enhancing items to your list the next time you go shopping. Your mind will thank you for it!
Enjoy what comes of today!